The Baravore mines are situated at the top of the Glenmalure valley, just past the car park at the end of the road and across the ford.
The Baravore mine worked the northern extension of the Ballinafunshogue vein. There are remains of several mine tips and more importantly two crushing houses. The ‘old’ crushing house is located close the road near to the hostel whilst the new crusher house is about 100m from the road midway between the ford and the hostel.
The mines appear to have been developed as trials in 1846 for lead, zinc and copper, but they were reported as abandoned in 1853. The ‘old’ crusher house may date from this period. In 1859, a prospectus was issued for the Baravore Silver-Lead mining company with a capital of £6,500 in £1 shares. This new company, under the direction of Capt. Skimming, immediately erected new machinery; including waterwheels for working stamps and crushers. Despite the optimism of the promoters the Baravore Silver-Lead mining company appears to have not been successful and it was wound-up in early 1861. The ‘new’ crusher house may date from this period. The ‘new’ crusher house is a substantial building and it is possible that the directors of the company spent most money on buildings and surface works so as to impress the shareholders in the size of the operation; rather than develop the mine properly underground. From 1865 until 1875 the mines were under the ownership of Henry Hodgson who was also working the Ballyfunshogue mines. There are no production figures from this period and the mine appears to have been abandoned