James Mernagh Commemorated
Close to 50 people braved the harsh winds and drizzle to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the late James Mernagh, who died tragically at St. Kevin’s Lead and Zinc mine on January 22 1957.
Former employees and friends were led by Jean and Mary, two daughters of James, as a commemorative stone was unveiled at the site of the mine at Glendalough. The granite stone itself, bearing an inscription in memory of James, was engraved at St. Kevin’s Lead and Zinc Mine.
A special commemorative mass also took place before the unveiling in St. Kevin’s Church, Laragh, with Fr. Doran and Fr. Seamus Tuohy. Minister Dick Roche was in attendance, while all the readings were performed by Principal Ann Savage and the young pupils of St. Kevin’s.